Animal Medical Clinic: Local haven for your pet

Thursday, March 18, 2010


So, you aren't going to care about this post unless you live in Hernando County, but I am so pleased I have to share. I got a 6 month old Black Lab and American Bulldog mix from Hernando County Animal Services two days ago. He's an amazing dog, I seriously do not have a single complaint, other than that we have to break him of jumping on the kids when he is playing with them. But that's to be expected, anyway.

When you adopt from Animal Services here, your adoption fee covers sterilization, rabies vaccination, and county registration. I also was going to have additional tests and vaccinations done. So today was Harley's big day, and I took him in this morning for a little snip snip and his shots. As it turned out, he was ill, and they were unable to safely perform the procedure.

So I looked for a vet that could see him right away. We've only had him since Tuesday, but he fits in our family like he was made for us, and we all just LOVE him. I need him to be okay. When I called the Animal Medical Clinic at 10:15am, they said they were able to see him at 11am..now that is some short notice. When I realized they were literally blocks away from home, I was doubly pleased.

When we went, Harley was feeling bad, and it was the third place we had been this morning, since I had tried to walk in at another vet first. He was not thrilled at the prospect, but he's a good boy, and he obediently padded in. They took us back right away into a comfortable exam room with seating for three and a monitor with a video of many of the fuzzy patients they see, complete with their names on each photo.

We wound up being helped by two staff members and the vet himself, as well as the front office staff...and let me tell you, these people LOVE animals. I loved the way they handled Harley, the way they spoke to him, and how thorough they were in trying to find the problem. They also waive the fee for an exam and rabies vaccinations for animals adopted from shelters to encourage and reward the practice, and their vaccines are the same cost as at PetLuv, our local low-cost vaccination and sterilization clinic. It wasn't a cheap trip for me-$160 total. But veterinary care is expensive, and for that amount I got an exam, a CBC, a stool sample examined, two regimes of medications, and a dewormer. That's a pretty reasonable cost for that course of treatment. I'll probably get Harley neutered and microchipped at PetLuv, but his vaccines and routine medical care will be provided by the Animal Medical Clinic.

As it turns out, Harley has some kind of intestinal tract infection. It's not Parvovirus, which was what I was so worried about, so I am relieved. He's on meds and we expect him to be much better within 24 hours.

I'm thrilled to have found a vet so close that truly cares about our new family member. If you are in the area and you have furry family, I highly recommend the Animal Medical Clinic.

Animal Medical Clinic
3449 Deltona Blvd.
Spring Hill, FL 34606

(352) 686-0671 PHONE
(352) 688-3999 FAX

HOURS OF OPERATION
Monday thru Friday - 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Thursday evenings by appointment only

0 comments: